Chat not working

Report any bugs you find here.
sven79

Chat not working

Post by sven79 »

The chat isn't working for me since about 2 weeks. I can access the chat and it shows the basic page with the text input field at the bottom. It also shows me as logged in at the top, however on the right side it always shows "Users 0" and "Rooms 0". (see attached screenshot) When I enter a message in the text box and click "Send", it doesn't show up in the chat above.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions?
sven79

Re: Chat not working

Post by sven79 »

Attaching the screenshot did not work either, trying again.
sven79

Post by sven79 »

The file attachment doesn't seem to work either. Trying to insert the screenshot directly into the post.

love2edge

Post by love2edge »

I can't get into it all now..

Assuming the web portion is working, have you tried this?

If you find yourself dropped into the chat with no one apparently around, just click on the rooms tab: https://prnt.sc/eD9bxMxxPyqb and click the Join button to choose the room you want to enter.
If you are having difficulty entering Chat, please be sure to update your browser. Google update my browser if you do not know how. If this does not work, please 1) log out of the site. 2) Ensure you have the latest version of Chrome 3) Log back in and try chat.
If you continue to have problems, please let Billie know. Please include the device you are using (Eg: Samsung phone, PC, iPhone, etc.), your operating system (Eg: Windows 10, etc.) and your browser. We cannot troubleshoot without this info.
sven79

Post by sven79 »

love2edge wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:52 pm I can't get into it all now..

Assuming the web portion is working, have you tried this?

If you find yourself dropped into the chat with no one apparently around, just click on the rooms tab: https://prnt.sc/eD9bxMxxPyqb and click the Join button to choose the room you want to enter.
If you are having difficulty entering Chat, please be sure to update your browser. Google update my browser if you do not know how. If this does not work, please 1) log out of the site. 2) Ensure you have the latest version of Chrome 3) Log back in and try chat.
If you continue to have problems, please let Billie know. Please include the device you are using (Eg: Samsung phone, PC, iPhone, etc.), your operating system (Eg: Windows 10, etc.) and your browser. We cannot troubleshoot without this info.
Thanks - yes, I saw that on the frontpage. I did try it and also contacted Billie, who was very quick to respond but did not have a definitive answer either.

As it turned out and as I found out after experimenting with a few things, the problem was actually on my end - out of whatever reason my adblocker (I'm using uBlock Origin) interfered with the scripts of the chatroom, but was causing no issues on the ST website itself. Once I turned the adblocker off, I could get into the chat again. I suspect other adblockers might do the same, in case someone else is having a similar problem.
love2edge

Post by love2edge »

Thanks for the update. I've seen that as well but forgot about it. Also a browser update can cause issues. Using a vpn can cause issues. I've seen that one myself.
svengalideck

Post by svengalideck »

sven79 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 pm
love2edge wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:52 pm ...whatever reason my adblocker (I'm using uBlock Origin) interfered with the scripts of the chatroom,
Indeed same issues, old problems. Scammers and hackers also use javascript(s) to hack your profile/ account - scripts that chat uses as well, thus the dangers, and hence blocking, by proper security software.

These goons may not do anything initially, except plant a malicious file on your/ comp/ phone and thereafter you are compromised.

In my OS the ability to disable script blockers has been around a decade or more; but use it carefully, and change it again as soon as you're finished.

Jscript will one day have to disappear...
sv
wanklover

Post by wanklover »

Chat isn't working this evening (23.00 hours UK time) A message appears saying 'No Internet Connection' however as I am on the internet this must be a problem with the ST site !!
love2edge

Post by love2edge »

Yeah, I know. Happening to me as well. Sent a note to Billie..
oldboomerman

Post by oldboomerman »

Nice to know it's not my PC but a bigger issue. I hope it is resolved VERY SOON!!!!
love2edge

Post by love2edge »

Working now..