Who's online

Questions about new site functionality or use
chestnutoak
Site Admin

Who's online

Post by chestnutoak »

Newbie here. When I look top see who's on line, I only see myself, guests and bots. I cant believe me and a few guests are the only ones online. Am I doing something to hide who's online? And what is a "bot"?
love2edge

Re: Who's online

Post by love2edge »

Bots are normally used to automate certain tasks, meaning they can run without specific instructions from humans. An organization or individual can use a bot to replace a repetitive task that a human would otherwise have to perform. Bots are also much faster at these tasks than humans.

Bots are typically search engine related. They are beneficial to websites by gathering info so that the websites show up in searches. It's especially important that search engine web crawler bots don't get blocked, because without them a website can't show up in search results. However, bad bots can steal data, break into user accounts, submit junk data through online forms, and perform other malicious activities.

A word of advice here, just remember that anything you post such as personal information and such in the forum can be gathered by a bot so be thoughtful as to what you put in a post on any forum, not just this one.