Sex-Ed - Masturbation

Serious and intellectual discussions
jemstone
Site Admin

Re: Sex-Ed - Masturbation

Post by jemstone »

Jocelyn Elders, a Surgeon General under Clinton (she is African American), was forced to resign because she suggested that we teach children about masturbation so that they might put off engaging in sexual practices that risk pregnancy and STDs. She saw it as a public health imperative, but the religious right (of course) hounded her out. She was right-- it is a public health issue, but in American culture religion trumps science.
chuck607
Site Admin

Post by chuck607 »

Most definitely masturbation should be taught. Masturbation to me is like the foundation of our sexuality and should be taught around the age of 11-12.

I discovered masturbation on my own and my first orgasm scared the heck out of me as I had no idea what had happened. Although my ejaculation was of small volume and clear, I thought I broke something inside of me and was afraid I'd wake up dead! Luckily about a month later we had a primitive form of sex education and I learned that what I had done was called masturbation and that the fluid I produced was semen - phewww.....
marklivin
Site Admin

Post by marklivin »

Sexual education, especially with regard to children and masturbation, is very important and should be discussed between parents and children, as well as in educational programs. No need to make this a big problem. Recently I wrote on this topic easyessay, in which I considered this issue from the side of my parents.
remember94
Site Admin

Post by remember94 »

Age-appropriate, sex-positive information about both solo and mutual masturbation should absolutely be part of any comprehensive consent, pleasure and harm reduction focused sex ed curriculum. Some parents might not like that, but kids have human rights independent of their parents and understanding one's own body is a basic human right. Also that kind of sex ed doesn't just benefit the individual. The more boys get consent and pleasure focused sex ed, which unavoidably includes masturbation, the safer every girl in the world is. Hell, the more teens in general come of age learning that they don't have to have vaginal intercourse to make love with their sweethearts, the more girls who know they can get naked with a boy and still have an absolute right to say "fingers on my clit and nothing more", the generally happier a world it would be.
jimbobv6
Site Admin

Post by jimbobv6 »

I'm not a fan of school sex-ed - not so much the concept but that it's done so badly! Home is the best place to talk about it, in a safe and trusting environment!
gavin1969
Site Admin

Post by gavin1969 »

Had a female as friend, and when we hadn't hit puberty yet...use to play doctor in her families cottage. We slept in the same bed and would play doctor/nurse. She explored that area alot until i got a woody! Couldn't cum at that age ,but is so nice!
gavin1969
Site Admin

Post by gavin1969 »

Found out . her sister and my sister snuck under our bed...Out of the blue they both said " You show me yours and i will show you mine! Kinda embarrasing but hey, enjoy the times and being free!!
jackgreen
Site Admin

Post by jackgreen »

Sexual education, especially with regard to children and masturbation, is very important and should be discussed between parents and children
oldfan
Site Admin

Post by oldfan »

Although it wasn't back in the 1960's when I had the very limited sex education that they taught in schools, it should have been. That way I would not have missed out on many years of play (I was a freshman in college when I figured it out).
rosco1

Post by rosco1 »

I was taught about masturbation when I was in my Catholic school. That is why I am so fucked up. lol
breena

Post by breena »

I'm also in Catholic school, but pretty much the only thing abouth masturbation that's being taught is that it's wrong/sinful and we shouldn't do it. :|

But I do play with myself, I love it (even though I still feel guilty sometimes), and I'll keep on doing it. :oops:
I guess you could say I'm self-taught! :lol: :roll:
mash2014
Site Admin

Post by mash2014 »

Raised Catholic. I was taught that sex was disgusting except when you were trying to have kids. The only time I got a sex class, I was hooked on masturbation. I love masturbating myself. I taught myself how to masturbate.
sarahfrigs
Site Admin

Post by sarahfrigs »

I just posted on Breena's page, thought it worth repeating here.

In regards to Catholics being taught masturbation is wrong/sinful.
I know it is in JP2 catechism, and one of his encyclicals, neither of which are infallible. Before this you will not find any church document that even mentions masturbation. In effect the Catholic Church had taught for 1900 years that masturbation is up to you.

And they will official oppose masturbation as supporting masturbation is biblical.

Nor has it ever taught that sex is just for reproduction - that is what the puritans teach and the Church condemned. Bonding (pleasure) and babies (reproduction) is what the Catholic Church teaches. Saying sex is just for babies makes them to be a liar, teaching false what is Christian.

Song of Solomon, Chapter 5.
Vs 2.
I slept, but my heart was awake.
Listen! my beloved is knocking.

Vs 5.
I arose to open to my beloved,
and my hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with liquid myrrh,
upon the handles of the bolt.

(It is about him in between those verses.)

Something else you need to know about this girl in chapter 5.

Who is she?
Chap 1:8 “fairest among women,”
Chap 4:7 ‘You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.’
Chap 5:2 “flawless”
Chap 5:9 “O fairest among women”

Chapter 6:11 identifies her as a Shulammite. The meaning of the name is “From the verb שלם (shalem), to be or make whole or complete” - getting out of bed with her hand dripping with 'myrrh' - she was masturbating herself.
It means being a sexual pure Christian/Catholic includes being about to masturbate oneself.
sarahfrigs
Site Admin

Post by sarahfrigs »

Having had my little rant, I want to say I oppose schools teaching anything to do morality as they have a tendency to bend to political whims and indoctrination - see currently the news on parents fighting harmful ideologies being forced onto their kids.
See this:
https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/pro-family-group-urges-canadians-to-protest-racist-anti-christian-catholic-school-trustee/

Parents need to teach, parents need to be informed and empowered to teach their own children.

Kathleen Hema has a good series on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/@KathleenHema

Back to the original question, we the parents should be teaching our children about masturbation and sex in general in ages 7, 8 ,9, depending on what they are ready for.
by ten all children should know the basics, know body parts, that sexual contact is pleasurable, we the parents like it. And provide our standards as to what is appropriate when and where. Sex with another is sacred and special and should be saved for marriage. Sex with yourself (masturbation) is healthy and to be encouraged - but at home, not in public.
wonderdick
Site Admin

Post by wonderdick »

sarahfrigs wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:25 am
Song of Solomon, Chapter 5.
Vs 2.
I slept, but my heart was awake.
Listen! my beloved is knocking.
I appreciate this clarification of Church teachings. My mother, a Protestant, would read Christian books to me at bedtime. I had to have my hands above the covers while she read! She read the Bible to me cover to cover. I remember her blushing when she was reading from Song of Solomon, no doubt this passage or others like it. At the time I was too young and didn’t have a clue but now I know she was titillated by the graphic descriptions.

I agree with teaching children the way you described. I think i was negligent in that regard with my daughter … I kind of left it to my wife … I’ll have to ask her what she talked about with her. When my daughter was 3 or 4 she used to balance herself on her crotch on the corner of a desk or table and lose herself in bliss. It was a little challenging to communicate with her that that’s something she can do in private and not when guests are around without her getting the idea that it was somehow bad or shameful or get self-conscious about. At least one guest expressed their disapproval of our parenting …
Last edited by wonderdick on Mon May 22, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breena

Post by breena »

Thank you very much Sarah!

I read your message, and found it quite interesting. I will (hopefully) answer in length later this week; I'm a bit busy lately (studying for my finals, AND I recently got a girlfriend!)... Sorry for my very late reply. :oops:
iamnaked

Post by iamnaked »

I consider myself very fortunate that I had a mother who encouraged open masturbation when I was at home. She started this as soon as she saw sticky sheets in the mornings.
My brother was grown and gone so it was just me and her. Dad was only home on the weekends and he didn’t care about such things.
I learned about a girls clit at 14.
That was way cool !
sweetmollyb

Post by sweetmollyb »

My own sex-ed in school was pretty poor. You could always tell our teachers wanted to be more open and sensible about it but were held back by the curriculum. Sadly I don't think much has changed these days and my own two are also not getting very good guidance from their teachers when it comes to masturbation. At least they're not told it's a shameful or sinful thing anymore.
To compensate I've tried to be as open as I can with them and made sure they know that if there's anything they want to know they can ask me without feeling embarrassed.
joein
Site Admin

Post by joein »

iamnaked wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:06 am I consider myself very fortunate that I had a mother who encouraged open masturbation when I was at home. She started this as soon as she saw sticky sheets in the mornings.
My brother was grown and gone so it was just me and her. Dad was only home on the weekends and he didn’t care about such things.
I learned about a girls clit at 14.
That was way cool !
very loving , caring mom.
wanklover

Post by wanklover »

Yes at the age of puberty. I had no idea at all what women's genitals were called nor how they achieved sexual pleasure. I stumbled on for years because I had never been educated properly. However we shouldn't spoil children's earliest years meaning Primary school and should leave them to grow up free from the worries of something they are too young for.