Magnesium

Physical, emotional and sexual well-being headquarters
DoctorsBro
Site Admin

Magnesium

Post by DoctorsBro »

I believe that magnesium is one of the most important nutrients for a healthy libido and sexual pleasure. It’s been said that the majority of Western people are to some extent deficient in this mineral that’s necessary for over 800 bodily processes. There are two main reasons why you might be deficient: it’s hard to get enough through your diet unless you eat loads of vegetables and animal products, and excess calcium depletes magnesium, so eating a lot of fortified foods and/or calcium supplements can further reduce the level of magnesium in your body.

The recommended daily value for magnesium is 400mg; personally I think this is the bare minimum and active people (especially sexually active people) need a lot more; I take 600mg a day in supplement form and consume some agnesium rich foods as well, so I probably get upwards of 1000mg. There are seldom any side effects to taking a lot of magnesium in natural forms; your body just gets rid of whatever it doesn’t need.

Besides being a general tonic and anti-depressant, magnesium’s key role in sexual performance and pleasure is as a vasodilator. In other words, it makes your blood vessels expand. Without this, there can be no sexual activity, obviously (for both sexes..the clitoris is erectile tissue, it just doesn’t “stick out” as far as the male version, instead it expands inside the body). The more magnesium you have, the firmer your erections will be and the more intense (notwithstanding all the other relevant factors) your pleasure will be.

Also, keep in mind that nutrients are fuel and as such they get burned up after they’re used; so the more sex you have, the more magnesium (and several other things) you need, or eventually your sexual drive and desire and capability will begin to burn out and die. This is especially important if you’re like me and enjoy long sessions of edging. The more time you spend sexually aroused, the more arousal-enabling nutrients you’re using up.

Human sexuality is a very chemically complex process and there is no one magical substance that will improve all sexual function, but magnesium’s role is deeply fundamental and one of the first places to look if you’re wanting to improve the physical quality of your sex life.

There are, of course, many different supplemental forms of magnesium. I currently take powdered magnesium glycinate from sites such as NutraBio or PureBulk. I add it to health drinks. It has only a very mild flavor. Glycinate is one of the most absorbable forms of magnesium. The glycine component also has its own benefits once it’s separate from the magnesium, and the combination has an additional awesome effect of reducing tolerance to substances and activities that might otherwise become less effective after repeated use: i.e. alcohol, sugar highs, and orgasms. So that’s why I like glycinate. Other forms I like are threonate (goes straight to the brain and helps you think better), malate (natural form, gentle on the body), and transdermal magnesium oil.

Oats are one of the best foods for magnesium content, because they’re so easy to make and eat. A lot of the other magnesium-rich foods are more obscure and not something most people would want to make part of their daily diet. Here is a good guide: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=75
However, keep in mind that any generic numbers on how much of a certain nutrient is in a certain food, are not reliable, because the numbers can vary greatly based on the quality of the soil in which the food was grown. That’s another big issue that I may post on someday.

In the meantime, get more magnesium in your life! It’s the spark plug of your body, after all :)
tianabe

Re: Magnesium

Post by tianabe »

thanks for the info
phil0110

Re: Magnesium

Post by phil0110 »

very important information, thanks!